Re: Bug 7034

"Henri Sivonen" <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Personally, I'd be more inclined to allow more
> interoperably-implemented presentational pre-existing markup features
> as valid to allow authors to use an HTML5 validator as a development
> aid when adding HTML5 features to pre-existing content that has
> interoperably supported legacy cruft in it.

Based on IRC discussion, I feel I should clarify:
I'm not suggesting that all interoperably-implemented presentational pre-existing features should be valid as a blanket policy. However, I think it would be worthwhile to allow things that are used so much that not allowing them makes validators too noisy for use with legacy markup--but only when the harm arising from the use of legacy markup features is directed mostly to the maintainer of the markup and not to the users.

Examples:
Tweaking table borders in CSS vs. tweaking them in presentational attributes is probably an issue where the harm is directed at the page author.
Using <font size> most likely means that <h1>, <h2>, etc. aren't being used, which is a case where the harm is directed at users of non-conventional browsing software.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi