Re: Bug 7034

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 03:33:31 -0700
Cc: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>, HTMLwg WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>

On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:29 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Also, do we really still need to have arguments over why
> transitional doctypes are bad (they trigger an inferior rendering
> mode for one) and why presentational markup is to be avoided?

I think I understand the value of avoiding quirks mode and almost
standards mode, enough to explain it. I'm not sure I understand fully
why presentational markup is to be avoided. Can you provide some
reasons or point to a good reference?

I ask because I'm planning to make a wiki page that collects
rationales for authoring conformance requirements.

Regards,
Maciej