Re: Bug 7034

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 02:39:43 +0100, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
wrote:
> On 03/23/2010 05:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>> Another downside is that many people who want to "opt in to best
>> practices" would not agree that including the string
>> 'xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/"' in a text/html document is
>> itself a best practice. If you want to propose multiple validator modes
>> triggered by something in the document itself, I would suggest using
>> something less potentially polarizing as the trigger. That would also
>> address the downside that you stated.
>
> I'll give my normal response to such assertions: to ask somebody to come
> forward and state that such an approach is not acceptable to them
> personally (i.e., I'm not looking for somebody to argue on behalf of
> unnamed others), and to propose an alternative.

I don't think it is acceptable really to use xmlns as mode switch. I don't
see what the problem is with keeping the syntax about as loose as all
versions of HTML have been so far and making the requirements on which
elements and attributes you can use slightly stricter as seems to have
been the overall trend as well. Which as far as I can tell is appreciated
by authors.

I can definitely see the point that in certain environments (e.g. when you
work with a large team) you want stricter requirements on syntax as well
and it would certainly make sense to me if the validator had some options
for that, but having it triggered by markup will just lead to confusion.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/