Re: Bug 7034

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:14:31 -0700
Cc: David Singer <singer@apple.com>, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>, Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>, HTMLwg WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>

On Mar 23, 2010, at 7:24 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> The following is a suggestion that I don't expect will not initially
> be popular, but I will put it out there in the spirit of
> brainstorming.  It truly is a "lets turn lemons into lemonade"
> suggestion.  I ask that everybody treat is as such.
>
> There is a sincere desire by some people to require ampersands to be
> escaped, quote all attributes, close all open tags, get rid of tags
> such as acronym, and to rid the internet of the scourge that is
> presentational markup.
>
> At the same time, the discussion about "this is XHTML" vs "not it is
> not" is showing no signs of going away.  This discussion even
> persists when the alleged XHTML is served as text/html, does not
> conform to any known schema or DTD, and even when is not well-
> formed.  I think that we have an opportunity to change the topic.
>
> One possibility is to change the definition of the xmlns attribute
> on the html tag from being a talisman to an opt-in to best practices.
>
> One downside of such an approach is that it would provide any means
> for people who author content intended to be served as application/
> xhtml+xml to opt out.

Another downside is that many people who want to "opt in to best
practices" would not agree that including the string 'xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml/
"' in a text/html document is itself a best practice. If you want to
propose multiple validator modes triggered by something in the
document itself, I would suggest using something less potentially
polarizing as the trigger. That would also address the downside that
you stated.

Regards,
Maciej