Re: Bug 7034

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:30:45 +0200
Cc: Philip Taylor <pjt47@cam.ac.uk>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, HTMLwg WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
On Mar 23, 2010, at 00:39, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Another possibility is to change parsing such that "...&copy=..." is not a hazard. I believe you had some evidence that this would fix more sites than it would break. It seems like it would also have the benefit of allowing us to make authoring rules more lenient in a beneficial way, without at the same time introducing undue complexity.

Making named character references not longer be named character references when the terminating character is '=' might be worthwhile.

However, it seems this wouldn't address Sam's stated problem. If we changed "...&copy=..." processing for the future, there'd be deployed software treating it differently. This would count as an interop problem, so there'd be all the more reason to make validators whine about it under the criterion of focusing on interop problems.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi