Re: ISSUE-90 background documentation on allowing any flow content in figure

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 16:44:10 -0700
Cc: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>
To: Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com>

On Mar 22, 2010, at 4:30 PM, Edward O'Connor wrote:

>> I will be honest, I'm not including this in the proposal. Not to say
>> it couldn't be included, but I hope would follow an experiment I did,
>> first, before adding a pre for ascii art in as option:
>>
>> If you don't have a screen reader installed for testing, I would
>> recommend installing NVDA on Windows, and then start the screen
>> reader
>> and Firefox.
>
> Sorry, this machine doesn't actually have a sound card, and anyway I
> don't have a screen reader installed on it. Perhaps you could describe
> the results of your experiment on the list? Thanks.

Safari+VoiceOver on Mac will attempt to read the characters inside
<pre> until the user invokes the command to skip the element.

However, the following slightly modified version will do the right
thing, at least in Safari on Mac OS X:
http://webkit.org/demos/accessible-ascii-art/butterfly.html

Regards,
Maciej