Re: restrictions on blocks inside inlines (was Re: HTML5 Authoring Conformance Study)

On Mar 21, 2010, at 5:27 PM, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> I did not say that <hn> was inline. Don't spread that rumour. ;-)
>
> But when you say that <caption> is not an inline, then what do you
> base
> that on? CSS?

The CSS display type of the <caption> element is "table-caption", not
"inline". According to CSS 2.1, "Caption boxes are block-level boxes
that retain their own content, padding, margin, and border areas, and
are rendered as normal blocks inside the anonymous box." <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/tables.html#model
 >. So from a formatting perspective it acts like a block.

> According to HTML4 - and thus also according to XHTML1,
> it is an inline.

I was unable to find where HTML4 says the caption element is an inline-
level element (it does say that it may only have inline children -
which is a separate issue).

Regards,
Maciej