restrictions on blocks inside inlines (was Re: HTML5 Authoring Conformance Study)

On Sunday 2010-03-21 08:22 -0400, Sam Ruby wrote:
> youtube.com:
>
> What interop issues are solved by disallowing div elements inside of
> span elements?

Blocks inside inlines can, in some cases, cause larger numbers of
CSS boxes to be present than the author probably expects, which I
believe in some cases causes performance degradation.  (I've seen
cases in the past where such performance degradation was
significant, although those cases may have been fixed in our
implementation.)

In many cases, the author intends the outer element to have block
formatting.  In the other cases, I believe the resulting formatting
is non-tree-like, which confuses the mental model of the HTML
element structure representing a tree.

-David