Re: Bug 7034

Sam Ruby, Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:14:58 -0400:

<http://dev.w3.org/html5/decision-policy/decision-policy.html#bugzilla-bug>.
>> I don't think bug 7034 satisfies any of those four bullet points in its
>> current state.
>>
>> And I'm letting you know that if the bug report doesn't meet those
>> guidelines, the likely result is NEEDSINFO, and that I at least would
>> agree with that resolution. If you're not interested in doing anything
>> further to avoid that outcome, then I am satisfied to leave the bug alone.
>
> You have now seen what a mere evening's worth of work can produce:
>
> http://intertwingly.net/blog/2010/03/20/Authoring-Conformance-Requirements

> I don't even know how to begin to reasonably categorize all this
> data.
  [...]
>  What is in order
> here is to ask for a bit of rationale for the current set of
> conformance criteria.  I'll note that this is not like a parsing rule
> for which the answer could be "three out of the four browsers agree";
> this is a topic which is a clearly a matter of judgment, and so
> asking those that formulated this set of opinions to explain their
> rationale is in order.

Even if we apply the "3 of 4 browser agree" line of though, things
doesn't compute.

HTML5, unlike HTML4, allows <noscript> inside the <head> element. Fine.
But why?  Is it so "you can use a separate style sheet for IE when
scripting is disabled"? [1]

Right now we discuss the <meta> content-language element. HTML5
currently requires a behaviour which no browsers implement. My change
proposal presents use cases which are just as realistic as the
"scripting disabled in IE" scenario.

[1] http://blog.whatwg.org/styling-ie-noscript

--
leif halvard silli