Re: TWO Change proposals for ISSUE-41 : Distributed Extensibility

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 14:00:01 +0900
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Cc: Tony Ross <tross@microsoft.com>, "Ennals, Robert" <robert.ennals@intel.com>, HTMLwg <public-html@w3.org>
Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, 2010-03-18 01:34 +0000:

> I have to be honest, I don't really understand the point of the "x"
> prefix. It seems unnecessary since people can use their own prefix just
> as easily.

The "x" prefix would make sense if the system for registering new
prefixes is not open/user-editable -- e.g., for a case like the
IANA language-subtag registry. But if the plan is for a registry
system that is open/user-editable (using a wiki or whatever), then
it does seem like the "x" prefix would not be needed.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike