Re: new dates for issue items based on today's HTML WG teleconference

> On Mar 11, 2010, at 4:17 PM, Laura Carlson wrote:

> >> The WG chair's understanding of the status of each can be found here:
> >>
> >>   http://dev.w3.org/html5/status/issue-status.html
> >>
> >> In summary, here is the current dates that the chairs have been
> >> tracking
> >> to for the next step of each issue:
> >>
> >>   Mar 10: 66
> >>   Mar 23: 31, 80
> >>   Mar 25: 32
> >>   Apr 5: 9
> >>   None: 30, 66, 74, 84
> >>
> >> We have yet to update the dates based on the new information.
> >
> > I updated the Accessibility Change Proposal Status Table in the a11y
> > Task Force Wiki based on today's discussion.
> > http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/
> > Accessibility_Change_Proposal_Status
> >
> > I think I got the dates right but will double check when Maciej
> > updates the main table.
>
> It's not immediately clear to me what updates are needed to the issue
> status page until the Chairs have a chance to discuss this, so there
> probably won't be any relevant updates until early next week. (In
> particular, I'm not sure what to do about cases where the projected
> date for "Arrival at HTML WG" is a considerable way in the future, on
> issues where we already received Change Proposals some time ago.)
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

I'm sympathetic to the aims of the accessibility task force, but I must
admit to more than a little irritation that I had to practically beg for
a few extra weeks in order to write my change proposals, yet we still
don't have a firm idea when we expect final results from issues that
have been active considerably longer--in some cases over a year.

I can understand that some of these issues are complex, particularly
those related to canvas and video. I would think, though, that we're
ready to go to a poll for Issues 30, 32, and 66, as these have change
proposals and have been discussed, extensively, in this email list. I
mean, really: time to fish, or cut bait, folks.

Instead of a poll, instead of _something_ that can finally lead to
resolution, according to Laura's change proposal status page[1] (thanks
Laura), we have some vague dates late in April, based on face to face
meetings, when I believe the guiding principle of the HTML WG is that
all decisions are made in the email lists -- not at face to face
meetings. The reason why decisions are made in email lists and not face
to face meetings, is that the latter are not inclusive. The face to face
meetings are also not definitive--without a significant number of team
members present, nothing really can be decided.

I don't think I'm out of line to ask when can we expect definitive
dates, and definitive actions on these items? Also, though I know this
is obvious to everyone, we're looking at the possibility of this group
being inundated with change proposals in April--both from my items,
Julian's items, and now, seemingly, the accessibility proposals. This,
when you all are also planning all these face-to-face meetings.

Luckily for our sanity, it looks like Issue 41 will have a change
proposal this month. I don't dare hope, though, that this one will have
a speedy resolution, so we're looking at this one going into April, too.
Fun.

Shelley

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Accessibility_Change_Proposal_Status