Re: Re-registration of text/html

Simon Pieters wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 12:18:09 +0100, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>
> wrote:
>
>> With co-chair hat off: I am not happy with the current set of rules.
>> But if you like, we can start the discussion from the other side then.
>> I would like to ask why the following is considered non-conforming:

>> The above markup causes no interoperability problems.  This is a rule
>> that is commonly, flagrantly, and willfully violated.  A number of
>> similar examples can be found here:
>>
>>    http://html5.validator.nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fgoogle.com%2F
>
> Need to change parsing first.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Jul/0417.html

I disagree.  If you would like to discuss changing the parsing rules,
that's fine, but that's not something I am suggesting.  Furthermore, I
will state that a change to make the above markup extracted from the
Google home page to be considered as conforming can be done without
changing the parsing rules first.

"Forgetting" to close a tag, and "forgetting" to escape an ampersand
would be considered markup errors in XML.  The intent of HTML5 is to
define in an an interoperable way that such "mistakes" be handled.  I
put "forgetting" and "mistakes" in quotes as it is clear that some
people intentionally wish to omit markup that they consider to be
unnecessary.  And I'm entirely fine with that.

- Sam Ruby