Re: Re-registration of text/html

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Putting it in the spec would require a bunch of negotiation over the
> exact set of rules and would likely lead to controversy no matter what
> set of rules is picked.

As co-chair: I don't believe that such a negotiation is out of bounds
for this working group.  In particular, I don't believe that we are
stuck with the set of rules that have been picked for us.  The set of
rules are for the group to determine.

With co-chair hat off: I am not happy with the current set of rules.
But if you like, we can start the discussion from the other side then.
I would like to ask why the following is considered non-conforming:

The above markup causes no interoperability problems.  This is a rule
that is commonly, flagrantly, and willfully violated.  A number of
similar examples can be found here:

   http://html5.validator.nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fgoogle.com%2F

Removing all rules that cause no interoperability problems would also be
an acceptable solution to me.

- Sam Ruby

P.S.  I have been thinking about issue 41.  General outline of something
I planning to propose: prefixes must be registered, using a mechanism
similar to the one we settle for issue 27.  xmlns:prefix attributes must
match a registration.  Once registered, prefix:name values as element
names and attribute values no longer trigger validation errors, but
other than that have no meaning.  Yes, it means that those that wish to
rid the world of the scourge of namespace inspired syntax will have to
pursue their agenda via other means.  Yes, it also means that those that
use such syntax can't directly use the DOM level 2 methods to interact
with such. But I believe that by asking both sides to give just a little
bit will enable us to move forward.