Re: Re-registration of text/html

Sam Ruby, Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:12:18 -0500:
> Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>
>> The XHTML2 working group is meant to soon (re)announce that XHTML
>> 1.1 documents can be served as 'text/html'.
>
> That will make for a rather 'interesting' Last Call period then.  I
> would advise anybody who wishes to make such a recommendation to seek
> wide input prior to that point.

Oh - I thought that I was only bringing "philosophical questions" to
the table. I may unawarely have provided something else ... Though my
own, private, interpretation is that I wasn't as philosophical as Henri
claimed in the first place.

I have only brought forward second hand information - as a consequence
of the I18N group's tutorial document "Character encodings in HTML and
CSS",  which Richard asked for feedback about on from the
www-international@w3.org mailing list a month ago. Don't rule out the
I18N group! ;-) That document also talks about quirks mode.

I quote from Richard's message:

]] The explicit distinction between XHTML 1.0 and XHTML 1.1 with regard
to MIME types was removed, since the XHTML2 WG is hopefully very close
to issuing a PER that enables XHTML 1.1 to be served as text/html. [[

I also briefly studied the mailing list of the XHTML2 WG, and I could
not immediately spot anything which went against Richard's perception
there. At any rate, the solution is not to sit and wait, if an
'"interesting" Last Call period' is something that we want to avoid.

But, can I ask you, as co-chair of this WG, what the problem with such
an development is supposed to be? Not the '"interesting" Last Call'
thing, but by allowing XHTML1.1 to be served as 'text/html'? I bet that
most of XHTML1.1 on the web today *is* served as 'text/html', so it
should be very close to reality to allow it.

[1] http://www.w3.org/mid/017801caa98a$a6920990$f3b61cb0$@org
--
leif halvard silli