Re: Re-registration of text/html

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:36:27 -0800
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: public-html@w3.org
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:33 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 16:24:59 +0100, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 10.03.2010 16:12, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>>
>>> This philosophical question could be avoided by stating that documents
>>> labeled "text/html" must be processed according to HTML5.
>>
>> If we did that, we'd have to make sure that this doesn't break existing
>> uses. So statements like
>>
>>   "User agents should ignore the profile content attribute on head
>> elements."
>>
>> would need to be fixed.
>
> Isn't that statement true for the majority of existing usage of the profile
> attribute? And therefore a SHOULD requirement is adequate?

If it's true for the majority implementations of profile attribute,
then a MAY requirement is sufficient.

No reason to encourage (which is what a "SHOULD" is, an encouragement)
breaking of existing implementations such as GRDDL processors.

MAY wording here also seems more compatible with allowing user agents
to implement the HTML5 Profile attribute extension.

Thanks,

Tantek

--
http://tantek.com/