Re: Color Management in HTML5?

On Mar 6, 2010, at 5:29 AM, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:

> And this discussion is EXACTLY why the ICC wants to get involved.
>
> As has been stated many times, the HTML5 spec is not only about the
> language & grammar BUT is also a set of requirements for UAs to
> ensure that all browsers render the same page in the same way.  As
> such, that includes not only that the right image goes in the right
> place on the page BUT that its colors are correct and match the
> colors shown in other browsers.

Nonetheless, most color management issues are not HTML issues. They
are mostly an issue for CSS. I would say the most fruitful avenue for
the ICC would be to coordinate with the CSS WG.

> To accomplish this will mean that rules for color management within
> a browser need to be stipulated in the standard itself.   For
> example, the following (non-complete) list of questions need to
> answered…
> ·         What is the “default colorspace”?

This is not an HTML issue. It's an issue for individual specs that
deal with color. Typically, W3C and other specs seem to agree that the
default colorspace is sRGB, though that is generally not implemented
(except perhaps on Windows where it's typical to assume that device
color is approximately sRGB.)

> ·         How to handle embedded profiles in images (and possibly
> even how to look for them)

This is an issue for image format specs, or perhaps for a spec about
how images should work on the Web.

> ·         How to handle CSS colors

That's an issue for the CSS spec.

> ·         How to handle SVG colors (which extend CSS a bit)

That's an issue for the SVG spec to the extent that it does not just
defer to CSS.

> ·         Does Canvas need to be extended to deal with richer color
> (ala SVG)?

My interpretation would be that Canvas uses CSS colors and therefore
should follow CSS rules about color. If the spec doesn't clearly say
that, then that's a bug.

> ·         Does video need to be extended?
>
> Would the correct process forward then be for the ICC to draft one
> or more formal & comprehensive Change Proposals (which will most
> likely be fairly widespread throughout one or more of the documents
> currently being authored)?

The correct first step to request a spec change for HTML5 would be to
file a bug. A Change Proposal would be out of order.

In all fairness I should warn you that it's likely the bug would be
rejected as out of scope for HTML.

> Is it possible that some form of decision could be made to determine
> the “feelings” of the committee ahead of time?  I would hate to
> recommend to someone at the ICC that they invest the (huge) time
> necessary to draft such a document , only then to have it not
> approved.  Is there some sort of “pre-vote” or something that could
> be used in this case?

Even without a "pre-vote", a Change Proposal would be out of order
without following the earlier steps in the process. And in any case,
probably the best venue to make proposals would be the CSS WG, not the
HTML WG.

Regards,
Maciej