Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-101 (us-ascii-ref)

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 03.03.2010 18:16, Edward O'Connor wrote:
>>
>> Hi Julian,
>>
>>> 2. Negative Effects
>>>
>>> None.
>>
>> I think you've missed at least one negative effect: as far as I can
>> tell, ANSI.X3-4.1986 isn't freely available and linkable online. At
>> least, I haven't been able to find a copy that the spec could link to.
>
> - RFC 1345 does not define ASCII, and it's not really helpful in explaining
> what ASCII is. If you're looking for a linkable resource that actually is
> helpful, how about <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII>?
>
> - That being said, I think a reference to ISO/IEC 646 would be acceptable as
> well; this one is re-published by ECMA as ECMA-006, which is available
> online
> (<http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-006.htm>)

I assume that W3C has a policy of that all W3C recommendations has to
be freely available. Thus I don't think having normative dependencies
on non-free specifications could be allowed.

However if we can normatively depend on the ECMA spec then that seems
like a good solution.

/ Jonas