RE: ISSUE-4 (html-versioning) (vs. ISSUE-30 longdesc)

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Larry Masinter wrote:

> I think you missed the point of validation. Some organizations might
> well want HTML subsets -- no heading elements, no tables, but inline
> markup, for example -- the kind of thing you find often in comment
> fields.  HTML5 doesn't have a DTD, but it doesn't mean you can't use a
> DTD for a subset in a controlled workflow.

Indeed; in fact the HTML5 spec explicitly defers to the XML spec on this
matter. You can use whatever DTD you like. HTML5 makes no comment about
what DOCTYPEs you can use in XML; doing so would in fact be a layer
violation, since XML fully defines DOCTYPE processing.

(Of course, this doesn't apply to content labeled as text/html, since
text/html is a custom syntax. In particular, it is not based on either
SGML or XML, so it doesn't make sense to talk about DTD validation for
text/html content. But that's presumably not relevant here.)