Re: HTML4 Diffs - Object, again

Le 26 juin 2010 à 23:52, L. David Baron a écrit :
> I think the HTML4 model was just a spec bug resulting from the use
> of DTDs to express the restrictions of the language.

It was here before HTML4. Already used in Cougar [1] aka HTML 3.2.

    <!ENTITY % special
       "A|IMG|APPLET|OBJECT|FONT|BASEFONT|BR|SCRIPT|STYLE|MAP|SPAN|BDO">

It is also mentioned in an old draft specific to object, which has
been used to design HTML 4.0 [2]. Btw, I didn't remember that
HTML 4.0 was composed of a few Working drafts put together in the
end.

    In Inserting objects into HTML
    At http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-object-970218#object

    The OBJECT element has the same content model as
    the HTML BODY element, except that one or more
    optional PARAM elements can be placed immediately
    after the OBJECT start tag and used to initialize
    the inserted object.

There was an attempt at a FIG element also in HTML 3, [3] which looks
like a lot the OBJECT element.

    <FIG SRC="nicodamus.jpeg">
      <CAPTION>Ground dweller: <I>Nicodamus bicolor</I>
      builds silk snares</CAPTION>
      <P>A small hairy spider light fleshy red in color with a brown abdomen.
      <CREDIT>J. A. L. Cooke/OSF</CREDIT>
    </FIG>

Digging a bit more, there was a long thread [4] starting with this
message [5] "<FIG> implies <P>?" discussing about FIG and P elements
relationship. Mike Batchelor is saying:

    I've noticed with Arena, that using a <FIG> implies a <P>.
    Is this intentional?

    Example:  I want to put a <FIG> in the middle of a paragraph,
    and have that paragraph wrap around the top, side and bottom
    of the <FIG>.

[1]: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Cougar/HTML.dtd
[2]: http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html40/
[3]: http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html3/figures