Re: Differences between the W3C and WHATWG specifications

Le 22/06/10 01:40, L. David Baron a écrit :

> While I think it's true that the HTML Working Group within the W3C
> has tried to collaborate with WHATWG, I'm not so sure that it's true
> of the W3C as a whole.
>
> Currently the W3C and the WHATWG have very different document
> licensing policies.  The WHATWG document license allows anybody to
> create a derivative specification; the W3C's does not.  While the
> HTML working group requested a change to the license:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0388.html ,
> the W3C has not yet made such a change.  I think many members of the
> WHATWG community feel strongly about this issue; I certainly do.

I don't. This is precisely the case where full openess is wanted in the
name of openess itself and not really because it helps the market. I
do believe the licensing terms of the WHATWG have a few bad sides that
do not counter-balance the loss of the status quo.

> The current licensing situation means that the only practical way
> the WHATWG and W3C can work together on the same specification is if
> all of the text originates on the WHATWG side.  That seems like an
> odd definition of collaboration, and I think it's closely tied to a
> number of the other issues causing conflict in this group.

You mean messages of the kind "we don't care about your slow and
useless W3C process, we keep moving" ?

In short: "the only way to make us happy is to do like we do". Nice.

</Daniel>