Re: Differences between the W3C and WHATWG specifications

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 10:58:14 +0200, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
wrote:
> On 16.06.2010 01:40, Ian Hickson wrote:
>>    of the work done by these groups as of [LONGDAY] [YEAR]. Because the
>>    HTML specification is continuously being maintained, implementors
>>    and authors are strongly urged to read the latest editor's draft
>>    instead of this snapshot. The W3C and WHATWG editor's drafts of HTML
>
> I think it's bad to publish working drafts, and to tell people not to
> look at them. There's a reason snapshots are published.
>
> I have no problem in pointing out that current edits reside somewhere
> else, but we don't need to go further than that.

We've had this discussion before and in practice these TR/ snapshots turn
out to waste quite a bit of time of engineers. I've seen it happen on
multiple occasions at Opera and I'm sure it happens elsewhere too. Somehow
they get to the TR/ version unknowingly a lot of the issues they encounter
have already been fixed. Clearly pointing them in the right direction
makes a lot of sense.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/