RE: Working Group Decision on ISSUE-91: Removing the aside Element

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> I wasn't aware that there was any particular need to assert that this
> portion of the spec would continue to be edited like every other
> portion of the spec.

+1

I believe that all aspects of the Draft Specification are open to discussion
right up until Candidate Recommendation, although by that time we should be
pretty clear on all issues, questions, etc. But (for example) Last Call can
and often does introduce questions, issues, etc. that may warrant further
discussion (if history and my experience with the WCAG 2 document was an
indication). I'm not saying that this is a desired course of action, but the
W3C process does allow for this:
 "Ideally, after a Last Call announcement, a Working Group receives only
indications of support for the document, with no proposals for substantive
change. In practice, Last Call announcements generate comments that
sometimes result in substantive changes to a document. A Working Group
SHOULD NOT assume that it has finished its work by virtue of issuing a Last
Call announcement."

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#last-call

JF