Re: video/@src vs application/octet-stream

On 19.07.2010 19:50, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 7/19/10 1:42 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> So there's a foreseeable race-to-the-bottom here. Please, this time, do
>> not blame the server implementers.
>
> Er.... there's a commonly-deployed server that sends
> application/octet-stream when it should send no type at all. How is this
> different from the text/plain situation we used to have?

It's different that this time we're introducing a new language feature,
that we are aware of the problem, and have all UA developers in the same
forum.

Let's try to do this right this time:

- do not sniff
- do not require to sniff
- make sure that the media types are actually registered

> I agree that if all UAs were to hold the line on this we could manage.
> But the server behavior (and the fact that some UAs have already crossed
> the line) makes that seem pretty unlikely, no matter what I may happen
> to think about sniffing. :(

OK, so who crossed the line? Do they sniff for application/octet-stream,
or for other types as well? (text/plain comes to mind).

Best regards, Julian