Re: Re-registration of text/html

On Sun, 21 Feb 2010, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Whether RFC 2854 allowed pre-HTML4 content is an interesting historical
> question, but not the primary one.

I presume that it did, since the IANA requires that it does. I just want
to make sure we use the same approach this time. As far as I can tell,
this registration follows the same basic idea (which is unsurprising as I
used RFC 2854 as a template).

You seem to be suggesting that RFC2854 in fact does not allow people to
send HTML3.2 documents as text/html. If this is the case, have the IANA
requirements changed since RFC2854 was published? Or were there good
reasons for violating the requirements? If there are such reasons, we
should probably consider them carefullu before changing direction here,
as we have with other changes of direction.