Re: Re-registration of text/html

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, Julian Reschke wrote:

> HTML5 contains IANA instructions to change the specification for
> text/html from RFC 2854 to HTML5
> (<http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#text-html>)
>
> Thus, if HTML5 forbids something (such as @profile), you can't serve it
> as text/html anymore, even though you might be using an HTML 4.01
> doctype. (Well, you *can* serve it as text/html, it "just" wouldn't be
> correct anymore).
>
> There are two ways to fix this
>
> 1) let the MIME registration continue to allow serving HTML 4.01.
>
> 2) make more of HTML 4.01 valid HTML5.

I would like to make sure we don't do anything radical in our IANA
registration here, so if there's anything I can do to bring it more in
line with what RFC 2854 did, I would be happy to do so (except, of course,
where the new text is an improvement or fixing known bugs). What specific
text in RFC2854 allows HTML, HTML+, HTML2, and HTML3.2 to be used with
text/html? I'd be happy to use the same text in our IANA registration (and
of course adding HTML4).

(I thought I'd asked this before, but I couldn't find an answer in my IMAP
folders, Bugzilla, or any of the mail archives, so apologies if this is a
repeat question. Please feel free to just point me to the previous reply
if there is one.)