Re: aftermath on Bug 8953 – URL decomp. IDL attributes when parsing fails

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Julian Reschke wrote:
> On 18.02.2010 19:16, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010, Julian Reschke wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyway, can we get back to the discussion *why* there is this
> > > restriction to the syntax (considering it's not implemented, and all
> > > kinds of other garbage are allowed)?
> >
> > Isn't that now out of scope for this working group? I thought the parsing
> > of URLs was now an IRI matter.
>
> For now it's not, until you change the spec's reference.

So if I write a draft that redefines HTTP, and then make HTML refer to
that draft instead of the HTTP spec, you'd argue that HTTP is in scope for
this group?

> That being said -- what do you *want* IRIbis to define here? As the UAs
> do not implement what you specified I'm wondering what the rational for
> this special case could be.

So long as it's defined and compatible with legacy content, I don't really
care what the spec says. In general I would encourage making things as
simple as possible, but I don't know what that means in this case.