Re: what's the language of a document ?

On Sat, Feb 6, 2010 at 6:55 AM, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Tex Texin wrote:
>>
>> Re: [3] Establish the precedence between http vs meta.
>>
>> I wish we could eliminate this nonsense altogether.
>> The description of the content of a document should be self-contained within
>> the document and not in the protocol.
>> The protocol should only ever reflect what is in the document to enable
>> routing and filters etc.
>> But documents should be self-declared.
>
> Content-Language is indeed unnecessary given lang="", but I would
> recommend bringing this up with the HTTP group if the proposal is to
> remove the header altogether.

This would work for several types of resources, e.g. html resources
and xml-based resources.

But there are many more mime types that get served over http which do
not declare their language inside the document and where an external
hint like this to the receiver will be helpful. I wouldn't act this
hastily with removing a HTTP header.

Regards,
Silvia.