Re: Integration of HTM

On Feb 4, 2010, at 9:05 , Jonas Sicking wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> Ian,
>
> The group has heard your comments. We don't agree with you. I am not going to have another email discussion dragged into the weeds like what has happened on summary. I think we have had adequate discussion on the topic and this will be part of the proposal we go forward with.
>
> We have agreement from Apple, Microsoft, IBM, and Mozilla and we are working on an implementation.
>
> Please note that there is no such thing as "agreement from Mozilla". The mozilla community is composed of individuals that often differ in opinion. In matters of web standards we usually don't form an "official mozilla position" or any thing like that. So while there very well might be people at mozilla that support this proposal, it is not "agreement from Mozilla".
>
> Personally I have the same reaction as Ian.
>
> I'll also note that Maciej is from Apple and appears not to like this proposal either. However I don't know what Apples policy is on these things.

In all standards work, Apple employees speak as individual experts, not presenting a 'corporate opinion', unless we specifically say so.  And getting a formal corporate opinion is rare.  So, you are right, it's not strictly right to say "Apple agrees", but instead "we have agreement from some Apple engineers".

Sorry to be pedantic, but the distinction (for us, and I think other organizations) is significant.

David Singer