Re: Integration of HTM

On Feb 3, 2010, at 5:32 PM, Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote:

> It will be done using CSS but the group wants to bind it to pre-defined attributes in the DOM and not IDs as ID values can not be guaranteed. If a user wishes to bind a media query to an arbitrary document which ATs often do it is necessary to have pre-defined attribute names.

The media query style rules to hide or show particular parts of the DOM. They are intended to be written by the content author and would be put in the author stylesheet. They do not "bind to IDs", they bind using selectors to whatever the author chooses. I feel like we are talking past each other on this and have different mental models of how CSS works. You can use CSS selectors to address any element in the DOM. It is not necessary to choose a specific way to do so.
> The author simply then needs to annotate the meta data in HTML using these standard attributes and trigger what is displayed through a media query.

I don't see the need for the attributes. They would also be strictly less powerful than media queries, which can use logical operators to apply rules for multiple media query properties. If anything, I would say we should have a visible-if-media="" global attribute which takes a media query as a value. But event that strikes me as unnecessary.

Regards,
Maciej