Re: Introducing the W3C HTML/XML Task Force

Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> writes:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2010, Norman Walsh wrote:
>>
>> As some of you are aware, this task force was
>> created by the W3C Technical Architecture Group[1] as a way to focus
>> attention on the its issue HTML-XML-Divergence-67[2].
>>
>> [2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/67
>
> Is there a summary of the issue anywhere? I looked at the URL above but it
> didn't explain what the problem was, and searching Google for the term
> "W3C HTML/XML Task Force" didn't enlighten me either.

I'll try to pull the relevant bits onto the status page asap. Some of them
are in my introductory message,

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html-xml/2010Dec/0028.html

The short answer is that an issue was raised at the W3C Technical
Architecture Group, http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/group/track/issues/67
summarized by TV Raman:

  "Perhaps the biggest challenge that faces the W3C's technical work
  on the Web is the growing chasm between HTML and XML"

The TAG decided to to form a task force to investigate this issue and
what possible solutions, if any, exist. I think the first thing the
task force must do is articulate the issue in more detail.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh