Re: Report on testing of the link relations registry

On Aug 15, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Jirka Kosek wrote:

> Ian Hickson wrote:
>
>> All of these rejections -- for both the field types and the keywords
>> -- have been along lines that appear to me to be highly bureaucratic
>> and not at all in the best interests of the Web. It seemed at times
>> that the gatekeepers (plural: two separate people responded during the
>> test of the registry) are more interested in applying theoretical
>> policies than actually helping people either to avoid clashes with rel
>> values or to increase interoperability in this space.
>
> Well, I haven't time to follow all cited emails, just part of them. But
> in the conversation I have read it seems completely natural from
> "gatekeepers" to ask for reference to more stable and established
> document in /TR space then to editor's snapshots on dev.w3.org or
> whatwg.org.
>
> You can call it highly bureaucratic and standards work is sometimes
> really bureaucratic (but this is nothing compared to ISO ;-), but proper
> referencing is vital part of each standard text, including registration
> form for registry.

I'm curious what the process would be like for someone who is not already editing an on-topic W3C publication. What would be the recommended process for an individual or company that has invented a new rel value, but does not have the ability to edit anything on w3.org /TR space?

Regards,
Maciej