Re: thoughts about a visible caret

On Aug 7, 2010, at 3:38 AM, Daniel Glazman wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am wondering if the contenteditable attribute is enough and
> we don't also need a way to say placing the selection "inside"
> an element should activate caret's visibility. A boolean attribute à la
> "caretvisible" would help a lot web sites that just cannot rely on
> contenteditable because of the implementations differences, and
> engine embedders willing to reimplement an editor ontop of a static
> rendering engine.

Let me check if I understand your suggestion. Are you saying there should be a way to make non-editable text support display of a caret when it contains a caret selection? Should it also support caret navigation (when the user presses the arrow keys or clicks) or could that be left up to script?

On contenteditable implementation differences: I have heard from many Web developers that contenteditable implementation differences are a major pain point. The HTML5 draft specifies contenteditable in pretty vague terms, which is something of a departure for the spec. One thing we should explore is whether the spec can be more detailed, for example by giving the exact required behavior for every execCommand operation. Are there operations besides execCommand that are a problem for interoperability?

Regards,
Maciej