Re: ISSUES 90, 91, 93, 96, 97 -- if you support these change proposals

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 3:08 AM, Laura Carlson
<laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, the main point is that the accessibility task force has
> declared that they will make these elements better [4].  I don't see
> any issues or actions is in the Accessibility Task Force's own tracker
> <meter> are all made better.

Luckily, all of these elements are very simple and straightforward,
and expose all the relevant information they need to.  An AT could
easily support their semantics natively.  The only issue is whether or
not the current set of aria roles can cover their semantics.  If they
can't, then it's a bug in the aria spec and needs to be fixed, since
these elements express useful semantics and in several cases already
exist on the web in the form of script-constructed <div>/<span> fests.

>> This is an interim helper while browsers still exist that don't
>> implement <details> (which is all of them right now
>
> That's the point...interim helpers are needed. When will they not be needed?

I answered your question in the section you quoted.  They are needed
"while browsers still exist that don't implement <details>" (or, more
precisely, while a sufficient market-share of browsers exists that
doesn't implement <details>).  That would be the "interim" period.

~TJ