RE: Timed tracks

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> You're misunderstanding exactly what Boris is referring to when he
> talks about what Sean is wanting to do.
>
> Sean wants to set up a barrier between captions and the page, so that
> the video/caption author's intent can't be "subverted" by the page
> author.  Two different authors in question here.

Hi Tab,

No. I'm following along there. What I'm suggesting is that by 'locking' this
data to a second 'author' (inserting a barrier) you are also locking it to
the end user - you can't have a user adjusting caption output and not have a
third-party page author not also be able to manipulate the same data (can
you?)  In this case both the third party author and the end user are
consumers of the primary author's intent, although for potentially different
reasons.

> Boris is happy for it to be hard for the video author to set up such a
> barrier, as it's unnecessary and reduces the page author's ability to
> innovate for little reason.

Aha, then perhaps we *are* on the same page, but for different reasons.

> I think we can safely assume that he
> wants a low barrier of entry for captioning itself.  ^_^

Then I owe him a beer <grin>.

JF