Re: Timed tracks

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 4/23/10 12:25 AM, John Foliot wrote:
>>> As well, from experience this type of post-production is often outside the
>>> capacity of smaller and non-professional video producers, which raises the
>>> bar of entry.
>>
>> Honestly, I'm quite happy with a high bar of entry to what Sean was
>> saying he wants to do!  I just wish people didn't want to do it to
>> start with.
>
> No, I want anyone to be able to easily create and caption videos with
> minimal effort - raising the bar simply reduces the output. I'm happy
> (excited!) that people want to do it right away.

You're misunderstanding exactly what Boris is referring to when he
talks about what Sean is wanting to do.

Sean wants to set up a barrier between captions and the page, so that
the video/caption author's intent can't be "subverted" by the page
author.  Two different authors in question here.

Boris is happy for it to be hard for the video author to set up such a
barrier, as it's unnecessary and reduces the page author's ability to
innovate for little reason.  I think we can safely assume that he
wants a low barrier of entry for captioning itself.  ^_^

~TJ