Re: Timed tracks

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 5:53 AM, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure what level of integration is being considered, or why CSS
> would necessarily be perceived as a benefit, since in my opinion there will
> need to be a strong barrier between the HTML and the timed text
> environments, for both security reasons and in order that the video/caption
> author's intention is not undermined by the HTML page author.

The latter goal is not achievable with separate caption tracks. We will
almost certainly provide a way for the HTML page author to disable caption
tracks (Sylvia has already proposed such an API). Then the page author can
superimpose whatever caption content he/she wants. Burning captions into the
video stream is the most effective way to achieve that goal, and even that
isn't foolproof.

Rob
53:5-6]