Re: change proposal for issue-86, was: ISSUE-86 - atom-id-stability - Chairs Solicit Proposals

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> "
> Let id be a user-agent-defined undereferenceable yet globally unique
> valid absolute URL. The same absolute URL must be generated for each
> run of this algorithm when given the same input. Let has-alternate be
> false.
>
> Non-normative note: This may result in a single entry producing
> different ids, if the contents of the corresponding <article> change
> often.  This may produce an undesirable user experience in Atom feed
> consumers, as the single article may exist multiple times in the feed
> as distinct entries.  It is recommended that authors ensure that one
> of the previous conditions can be met, ensuring a stable id even if
> the contents of the article change.
> "

Something like the above seems fine to me, so long as we also added an
extra clause saying the same URL should also be generated even if the
input changed. Otherwise we're actually making the requirement even weaker
than what HTML5 has now, which takes us even further away from what was
argued Atom requires.