Re: change proposal for issue-86, was: ISSUE-86 - atom-id-stability - Chairs Solicit Proposals

On 14.04.2010 23:09, Sam Ruby wrote:
> Speaking only as a member of the Atom community: the notion of defining
> one not only seems harmless, it actually is (mildly) appealing. That
> being said, what is currently in the draft specification is actively
> harmful. It is my hope that any browser vendor strongly consider the
> input of the Atom community before implementing what is currently spec'ed.
>
>> In which case I recommend that you seek the feedback of the Atom
>> community, and fix potential bugs in the spec (such as thise described
>> in my first change proposal, but there may be more).
>
> If there is a consensus to fix these and other bugs, then I would
> support an Atom mapping remaining in the W3C HTML5 spec.

In that case, I'd really like to see a discussion on the questions below:

- What is the use case? News sources that don't want to publish separate
feeds? If they do already, what is the problem with that? Why would they
want to stop?

- Who is supposed to implement this? Browsers? Feed readers? (are they
supposed to start consuming HTML5 in *addition* to the various things
called "RSS" and Atom?)

- Why does this need to be part of HTML5? Why does this need to be a W3C
activity anyway?

- What are potential alternatives? RDFa, Microformats (hAtom) and
Microdata come to mind.

So yes, having a bijective mapping between a certain subset of HTML and
another subset Atom is an interesting thing to think of, but it's
totally *not* clear whether it's something that needs to be done here.

Best regards, Julian