Re: Change Proposal for ISSUE-82 (Profile-Disambiguation), was: ISSUE-82 - profile-disambiguation - Chairs Solicit Proposals

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com> wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2010, at 11:57 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> I think the answer to this is that the spec still wants to define the DOM
>>> IDL attribute (which I actually missed when I claimed that there was no
>>> required implementation behavior).
>>>
>>> Thus, we'd still need:
>>>
>>> -- snip --
>>> [Supplemental]
>>> interface HTMLHeadElement {
>>>         attribute DOMString profile;
>>> };
>>>
>>> The profile IDL attribute of the head element must reflect the content
>>> attribute of the same name, as if the attribute's value was just a string.
>>> (In other words, the value is not resolved in any way on getting.)
>>> -- snip --
>>>
>>> I'd be ok with this, avoiding misleading statements about what @profile
>>> is for, and delegating the documentation to a proper spec.
>>
>> I asked Ian privately if he'd be ok with this approach, i.e. remove the
>> description of what @profile is supposed to be for or its intended syntax.
>> He said he is ok with this, so I encouraged him to make that change in hopes
>> that this can lead to an amicable resolution.
>
> And here is the diff:
> http://html5.org/tools/web-apps-tracker?from=4985&to=4986
>
> Is that an acceptable basis for an amicable resolution?

This still defines the .profile IDL attribute though. As stated, I
would be ok with this, but I would prefer to remove it entirely to
keep things from colliding with whatever the @profile spec defines.

/ Jonas