Re: Change definition of URL to normatively reference IRI specification using a well-defined interface

On 07.04.2010 00:45, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010, Julian Reschke wrote:
>>
>> But defining these two productions doesn't require defining parsing; you
>> simply build them from the more basic elements.
>
> It would be most convenient if the IRI spec could define this. Naturally,
> if it does not then the HTML spec will have to work around this
> limitation. However, since it is far easier to define this kind of stuff
> in one place rather than spread it around, I don't see why we would want
> the IRI spec to not define it. Productive cooperation comes from working
> groups working together to achieve the common goal of improving the Web.

Motherhood and apple pie :-)

On the other hand, interfaces shouldn't contain more than it is needed.
"hostport" and "host-specific" appear entirely redundant to me.

>>> I've no interest in debating the specifics in this mailing list, since
>>> the whole point of the exercise is to move the specifics to another
>>> standards organisation altogether. ...
>>
>> Well, we're not there yet, and I was trying to understand what you think
>> is required to get there.
>
> I think the change proposal summarises precisely what I believe would be
> most useful in getting there.

It does. What it doesn't say is *why*.

Best regards, Julian