Re: Styling Controls (was: native elements versus scripted)

On Apr 6, 2010, at 11:05 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM, John Foliot <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
> wrote:
>>
>> If the lack of styling ability on certain proposed elements is seen
>> as a
>> significant issue, and the relevant parties are expressing interest
>> in
>> working together to resolve these problems, then I see this as a
>> very good
>> thing indeed. And if it was your Change Proposals that spurred on
>> this
>> discussion, then thank you Shelley for moving the ball forward,
>> even if
>> inadvertently.
>>

> No, no, I really don't want credit for this. Maciej deserves all the
> credit.
>
>> It will be interesting indeed to hear what the CSS WG has to say in
>> this
>> matter, and whether any progress can be made here. I note that
>> Maciej is
>> copying his thoughts to the www-style list for further discussion
>> there,
>> so I look forward to seeing what comes next.
>>

> Yes, I will be curious to see the CSS WG's reactions to this sudden
> and intense desire to style form elements.

At least in the case of the WebKit project, interest in styling form
controls is not sudden. As I mentioned in an earlier email, it's
something we've been working on in our implementation for years.

However, your analysis of the tradeoffs between built-in semantic
elements and hand-rolled controls, as well as the WebKit project's
recent progress on implementing new HTML5 form controls, has made
these issues much more salient.

Regards,
Maciej