Re: Styling Controls

Hi, Shelley-

Shelley Powers wrote (on 4/7/10 2:05 AM):
> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:00 AM, John Foliot<jfoliot@stanford.edu>  wrote:
>
>>  If the lack of styling ability on certain proposed elements is seen as a
>>  significant issue, and the relevant parties are expressing interest in
>>  working together to resolve these problems, then I see this as a very good
>>  thing indeed. And if it was your Change Proposals that spurred on this
>>  discussion, then thank you Shelley for moving the ball forward, even if
>>  inadvertently.
>
> No, no, I really don't want credit for this. Maciej deserves all the credit.

Something about the way you say "credit" makes it sound suspiciously
like "blame".

In either case, I think I was the one to raise the styling of form
controls, and the mechanism of using pseudo-elements, at least in this
context... so I'll claim some of that credit/blame. :)

>>  It will be interesting indeed to hear what the CSS WG has to say in this
>>  matter, and whether any progress can be made here. I note that Maciej is
>>  copying his thoughts to the www-style list for further discussion there,
>>  so I look forward to seeing what comes next.
>
> Yes, I will be curious to see the CSS WG's reactions to this sudden
> and intense desire to style form elements.

I think it will be mixed, with some in favor and some opposed.  There
are good reasons for and against it.

I think the chief objection will be that the CSS WG is already
overworked with what they have on their plate, which is another reason a
joint task force might be a good idea... it could draw on interested
parties from the HTML WG to do some of the tedious cataloging of
possible pseudo-elements, to help the CSS WG out.

(If you don't see any more posts from me, it's because Glazou murdered
me for my role in this.)

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs