Re: ISSUE-96 Change Proposal

On Apr 1, 2010, at 9:22 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 1, 2010, at 8:00 AM, Steven Faulkner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>> i agree that it is better for  accessibility to have native controls
>>> as the properties of these controls can be hooked up to
>>> accessibility
>>> APIs by the browser.
>>
>> This point is worth noting. Appropriate semantic markup for
>> application
>> controls does not mean extra work has to be done by a screen reader
>> or other
>> assistive technology, as Shelley suggested. Rather, the browser
>> engine
>> directly exposes such controls to the appropriate accessibility
>> API, and the
>> screen reader at the other end doesn't even have to know if it's a
>> real
>> control or ARIA.
>>

> That's all well and good, but it's still a bad design choice.
>
> How many declarative elements will we have in the future. Dozens?
> Hundreds? How many versions of HTML we'll we have to have, because we
> have to roll out new versions for a bunch of widgets that could be
> created with JavaScript and CSS?

If we wanted to have declarative elements for every reasonable control
that a Web App? Well, Interface Builder for Mac OS X offers about 35
distinct controls. I would say that is more than enough for any
reasonable application, at least at the current state of the art.  I
think this is a useful point of comparison because Cocoa is widely
believed to be a usable and comprehensive UI toolkit. Note: that's
combining ones that would be the same semantic element in  HTML, but
with different styles, and omitting controls that are solely there to
control layout. Of these, I see about 4 that are not adequately
covered by an HTML5 element or <input> type, yet general-purpose
enough that they could possibly make sense to add. The most notable
omission is table / outline. This would have been handled by
<datagrid>, but <datagrid> didn't make the cut for HTML5.

(Later if I get a chance, I'll compare to the set of controls offered
by Cocoa Touch).

Regards,
Maciej