Re: ISSUE-81 (resource vs representation)

On Sep 28, 2009, at 5:18 PM, Nikunj R. Mehta wrote:

> On Sep 28, 2009, at 4:35 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>

>> Before I go searching in the spec, may I ask if you were sincerely
>> unable to find the answers to the following questions in normative
>> spec text?
>
> Short answer - NO.

All right, I'll reply further after I have had a chance to
investigate. I agree that the spec should not leave questions
unanswered.

>>> Can "resource" be all of the following at the same time?
>>
>> As far as I can tell, yes. Can you clarify which of the following
>> properties you think are mutually exclusive?
>
> I have listed above that which I think are mutually exclusive. If
> you think I am not making sense, can you please point out where and
> why?

With reference to your original question, "Can "resource" be all of
the following at the same time?", it seems to me that, yes, the same
entity could have all of the properties below simultaneously. Or at
least, I do not see any obvious contradiction. The way you phrased it
made it sound like you think it's not possible to have all of the
properties below at the same time. Did I understand that correctly? If
so, can you give an example of which properties are logically
incompatible, and why?

>>> A resource may have metadata (per section 2.5.1)
>>> A resource may generate Request-URIs (per section 2.1.1)
>>> A resource may be external or not (per section 2.1.1)
>>> A resource has semantics (per section 2.1.1)
>>> A resource has a format or type (per section 2.1.1)
>>> A resource may have metadata (per section 2.5.1)
>>> A resource has an identifier (per section 2.5.1)
>>> A resource can be fetched (per section 2.6)
>>> A resource may be incrementally processed (per section 2.6)
>>> A resource may or may not be available (per section 2.6)
>>> A resource may be cached (per section 2.6)
>>> A resource may be type sniffed (per section 2.6)
>>> A resource has a host (per section 2.6.2)
>>> A resource can be either binary or text (per section 2.6.3)
>>> A resource has cookies (per section 3.1.3)
>>> Something may be a subresource (per section 4.2.4)

Regards,
Maciej