Re: Removing <source> should make resource selection not fire 'error' on it

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Simon Pieters wrote:

> The resource selection algorithm will, after async finding out that a
> <source> is not usable, fire an 'error' event on the candidate <source>
> element. However, a script might have removed that element from the
> tree, possibly inserted it into another <video> element or just removed
> all references to it, etc, which might have various interesting
> behaviors.
>
> We suggest that when a <source> element is removed from a document, or
> when it is moved in the document (including being moved inside the same
> parent), the resource selection algorithm should not fire the 'error'
> event to it. This seems like the simplest thing to implement, and there
> doesn't seem to be any use case to moving <source> elements anyway.

I don't see why we would do this. It seems far easier to just fire the
event at the element wherever it is. It also seems more appropriate to
send the event to that element, since that is the element that failed. As
you say, I doubt this would come up much in practice anyway.