Re: ECMA TC 39 / W3C HTML and WebApps WG coordination

On Sep 24, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, no.  See #2 and #3 below:
>>>
>>> http://www.w3.org/2004/08/invexp.html
>> It depends on the nature of the employer, and the reason they are
>> unable to join. Historically there have been Invited Experts in W3C
>> Working Groups who are employed by such organizations as
>> universities or small start-ups. We even have some in the HTML
>> Working Group. So it would probably be more accurate to say "it
>> depends" and that it may be subject to the judgment of the W3C Team.
>
> I've discussed the specific case with the W3C, and it is the case
> that in the judgment of the W3C Team, the answer in this specific
> case is no.
>
> You, of course, are welcome to try again in the hopes of getting a
> different answer.

I didn't know that there was a specific case driving this concern. I
thought this was a general worry about, e.g., university researchers.
I would not ask the W3C Team to reconsider specific cases where they
have already rendered a judgment.

Regards,
Maciej