Re: what is dt?

Jeremy Keith wrote:
> Here is some CSS from a project I'm currently working on:
>
> h1 {
> font-size: 2.5em;
> }
> h2,
> section h1, article h1 {
> font-size: 2em;
> }
> h3,
> section h2, article h2,
> section section h1, article article h1,
> section article h1, article section h1 {
> font-size: 1.75em;
> }
>
> ...you get the idea (and that doesn't even include other sectioning
> content).

This is a well known issue and there's been ideas for a few CSS based
solutions floating around to address it.  Specifically, the introduction
of pseudo-classes or possibly pseudo-elements that would assist with the
selection of headings or sections based on their outline depth.

In fact, some of the ideas were discussed yesterday in IRC.

http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20090917#l-865

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Another problem: The h1-h6 we have today are supposed to contain
> rather short titles that can be displayed in an outline. Suddenly,
> however, when h1-h6 is used as caption, that rule can not not apply.
> (Note the development of the content model of <caption> - see the
> draft.)

Such captions could, however, be listed in a table of figures, which is
commonly found in text books, usually after the table of contents. But I
agree that using h1-h6 is not ideal for the other reasons you pointed out.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/