Re: what is dt?

On Sep 17, 2009, at 6:02 AM, Shelley Powers wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> Hi Shelley,
>>
>> On Sep 16, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:
>>

>>> We keep referencing the importance of semantics, but most of the
>>> considerations about elements to use for Figure and Details have
>>> been based on some physical characteristic or behavior. Physical
>>> characteristics and behaviors, I should add, that came about
>>> because of earlier, non-compatible semantics.
>>
>> That's exactly right - the other plausible existing elements are
>> ruled out because of their pre-existing use and behavior. I don't
>> have a strong opinion on <dt> vs. a new element - as far as I'm
>> concerned, either is acceptable. All I wanted to do is clarify why
>> <caption>, <label>, or other similar elements, are not an option
>> for technical reasons that go beyond aesthetics.
>>

> Actually, label has been found to be acceptable for use with Figure.
> Even preferable because it is a "caption".

Found by whom? Do you personally think it is acceptable? Did you see
the list of problems I cited for <label>? Do you disagree that these
are problems? Quoting myself from before:

>> label:
>> - Is associated as the label for any controls inside it; probably
>> not a big deal for <details>, but it's totally plausible to have
>> checkboxes, radio buttons, text fields or other form controls in
>> the caption of a <figure>. Think about the flickr UI for editing a
>> photo caption, or sites like "Am I hot or not", or a UI to check
>> the photos you like best out of a set.
>> - Cannot ever receive keyboard focus; this is more of a problem for
>> <details> than for <figure>, since it is an interactive element.
>> - Apparently, a fair number of pages have existing style rules for
>> "label" that are not further qualified, intending them only for
>> form control purposes. Adding a <figure> or <details> to such a
>> page would cause styling oddities in the caption, unless all
>> existing label CSS rules are changed to qualify them further.

I believe the Superfriends were not aware of all of these issues when
they made their proposal.

>> I think you're making the case below that for reasons of taste and
>> language design, dt/dd is not a good choice, perhaps worse than
>> making up a new element. Would that be a fair assessment of your
>> viewpoint? Do you think there would be downsides to creating one or
>> more new elements for <figure> and <details>?
>>

> No, I don't believe I stated my argument in terms of "taste" or any
> "personal" preference.

What you say below is something I'd consider a question of design
taste. That doesn't mean it's unimportant. Design taste an important
consideration in designing a language. But I want to keep language
design questions separate from issues that cause concrete technical
problems, because they tend to be more subjective.