Re: what is dt?

Smylers On 09-09-17 18.18:

> Shelley Powers writes:
>> Smylers wrote:

>> Except now, when seemingly dt and dd have become HTML5 silly putty:
>> good for a hundred and one uses.

> uses.  <dt> and <dd> are 'building blocks' which each of those happen to
> contain.

Agree in principle about 'building blocks'. <li> is also the
building block of both <ul> and <ol>.

> And they hardly have completely different uses: in all cases the <dt> is
> being used to label the <dd>, so they're comparable (in a way which,
> not be).
>
> <dt> is an awful name for an element which means 'figure caption'.
> Indeed it's hard to think of anything which could be a worse name.  But
> it isn't entirely inconsistent with other uses of <dt>.

Do we need to call it a caption? Could we not say "description"?

The draft sees <dl> as a "description list", with <dd> as the
the description of the <dd> ...

If we instead consider <dl> - still - a "definition list", then it
becomes clearer ...
--
leif halvard silli