Re: video size when aspect ratio is not 1

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:48:59 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Sep 2009, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

>> > Wouldn't that be up to the video format?
>>
>> No, video formats only give the size in pixels and the pixel aspect
>> ratio (or alternatively frame aspect ratio). The only constraint is that
>> the aspect ratio be correct, which forces us to choose how to achieve
>> that. Assuming one dimension remains unchanged:
>>
>> 1. always scale up
>> 2. always scale down
>> 3. always scale x-dimension
>> 4. always scale y-dimension
>>
>> We're suggesting #1. From the rest I've only seen #3 used in actual
>> media players.
>
> Fair enough. I've specced #3 (#3 and #4 are simpler to implement than #1
> or #2, and the extra complexity doesn't seem to gain us much. I've never
> heard of anamorphic video data with a ratio less than 1.0, so assuming my
> experiences are representative, it's the same as #1 in most cases
> anyway).

Actually, standard 720x480 4:3 NTSC DVD video has an pixel aspect ratio of
8:9 and there is no shortage of it. While #3 is easier to both spec and
implement, both we and Mozilla have already independently chosen to
implement (and write tests for) #1, so I'd much prefer if that were
specced. Chrome seems to not do anything and I don't know how to produce a
suitable test file for Safari.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer